It’s starting to feel like spring outside, and I for one have been craving some more summery meals. This colourful and flavourful Thai-inspired salad fits the bill nicely. The sweet-tart flavour of green mangoes is nicely complemented by a spicy mint-lime vinaigrette. Crispy baked tofu adds some healthy protein and the meal is rounded out with some quick-cooking vermicelli noodles.
If you want to make it even healthier, look for brown rice vermicelli, instead of white rice, though it can be a little harder to find. If you want a lighter meal, you can always omit the noodles altogether or sub in tofu noodles.
You could also fry the tofu, if you wanted to really cut down on cooking time. I find baking it this way gives it a nice firm texture, which is really delicious. You should try it at least once! For best texture, make sure you press all the water out before baking.
This meal was inspired by/is dedicated to my mom, who made an awesome Thai feast for my birthday, which was this past Sunday. We also saw Book of Mormon this weekend and went for tacos at La Carnita, in Toronto. They have a vegetarian taco that they can veganize, and offered to veganize any of the meat options as well. If you’re not vegan, the roasted corn is apparently a must-try, though I can’t speak for it myself, because it does have feta or some type of cheese crumbled over top. Also did dinner with some friends and went on a lovely bike ride to enjoy the good weather. Overall, a great birthday weekend!
Hope your long weekend was just as lovely!
- 1 green mango
- 1 cucumber
- 1 red pepper
- 1/2 red onion (optional)
- 2 Tbsp Tamari or Soy Sauce (GF if needed)
- 1/4 c Rice Vinegar
- 1 tsp Chili Garlic Sauce or to taste
- 2 Tbsp Lime juice
- 1.5 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- Juice from 1/2 Orange
- 1/4 c. mint leaves, packed
- 1 block firm tofu (I used soyganic)
- 1/3 package of vermicelli
- 1/4 c. roasted peanuts
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Squeeze out at much water as you can.
- Slice tofu into 1/2 cm thick slices.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake @ 400F for 25 minutes.
- While tofu is baking, fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil on the stove.
- While you are waiting for the water to boil, julienne cucumber, mango, red pepper and red onion, if using.
- Add 1/3 pack of vermicelli noodles to the boiling water. Turn the element off and let sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Once vermicelli is cooked, strain then rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Mix dressing ingredients in small bowl, adding mint after orange. (You’ll see in the video I omitted mint from my dressing to save my partner from heart burn. I mixed it into my dish after.)
- Pour 1/2 to 2/3 of dressing over the cucumber, mango, pepper and onion mixture and stir to coat evenly.
- Remove tofu from oven and coat in remaining dressing.
- Place vermicelli in a bowl and then cover with desired amount of mango salad and tofu.
- Garnish with toasted peanuts.