So, these Nachos. You have to try them! I’m putting them under appetizers, but I won’t lie, this is usually more of a dinner in our house. Nachos are a perfect dish to share with friends while lounging on the back porch or beside the pool, enjoying a glass of rose (or craft beer in Nick’s case…could we be any more cliche). Anyways, I’ve actually been waiting for quite some time to put a Nachos recipe up on the blog. I’ve been experimenting with weird Nacho toppings ever since trying Nourish Bistro’s loaded nachos while I was out in Banff (and by trying, I mean consistently ordering this dish every single time I go). This version is loaded with awesome ingredients, including strawberries, mangoes, quinoa, mint, black beans and kale. You really can’t go wrong with so many wholesome ingredients! I also like to top these off with Cashew Crema, though of course you can use a shredded vegan cheese (like Daiya) if you want to save some time.
I suspect they would also make a great super bowl recipe. Feel free to experiment with ingredients, I think blueberries would also be excellent on these, but go with whatever your heart desires! You could also try chickpeas, or even roasted chickpeas instead of black bean, which I think would add a nice crunch. Happy experimenting!
Total Time: 30 minutes Serves: 2-4
- 1 bag of Tortilla chips (I used Neal Brother’s Organic Blue Corn)
- 1/2 c Quinoa, cooked
- 1 c Kale, chopped
- 1 can of Black Beans or 2 c of cooked Black Beans
- 1/2 c of Strawberries, thinly sliced
- 1 Red Pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Mango, thinly sliced
- 1/2 c Mint, stems removed and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 Avocado, cubed
- 1/4 c of Pepitas or Trail mix
- 1/4 c Pickles, cut into small cubes
- Salsa (optional)
- 1/2 c Raw Cashews, soaked 4 hrs
- 1/2 c Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Soak 1/2 c of raw cashews in water, at least 2 hrs. (though if you forget, it’s not the end of the world, as long as you have a good food processor, your sauce just won’t be as smooth)
- Preheat the oven to 420F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread tortilla chips evenly over top.
- Sprinkle Kale, Black Beans, Mango, Red Pepper, Pickles, Mint, Avocado and Strawberry as desired.
- Make the Cashew Crema by blending the cashews in a food processor or high quality blender with the salt and garlic until smooth. Add 1/4 c of Almond milk and then gradually add more by the Tbsp until a smooth, easy to pour consistency is reached. Taste and adjust salt or garlic as needed. Lime is a great addition here, if you have it on hand.
- Pour the Cashew Crema over the Nachos as desired (I had a bit left over).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until kale is crispy and Crema slightly darkened.
- Garnish with extra Mint and Pepitas/Trail Mix.
- Serve with a side of salsa.
That’s it for today! What is the weirdest thing you like to put on nachos? Tell me in the comments!
I’m hoping to also release some smoothy bowl recipes from my wisdom tooth recovery, so stay tuned for those! (I basically ate nothing but smoothies last week, hence the lack of posts).
Until next time!